When you’re new to guitar, there’s a lot of things for you to figure out, such as how to put on a strap, which is what we’re looking at here.
Fortunately, once you’ve got this figured out, you’ll never have to think about it again. So, don’t be embarrassed if you’re struggling. It’s perfectly normal to have questions when you’re first getting started.
Whether you’re working with an acoustic guitar or electric guitar, we’ve got you covered. Here’s how to get your strap on, step by step.
But first, if it's your aim to do music professionally, you'll want to check out our free ebook while it's still available:
Free eBook: Discover how real independent musicians like you are making $4,077 - $22,573+ monthly via Youtube, let me know where to send the details:
How To Put On An Acoustic Guitar Strap
There are different types of acoustic guitars out there, so the process of putting on a guitar strap can vary slightly. If your acoustic guitar has two strap buttons, the method that follows will work just fine.
- First, note the positions of the strap buttons (this can vary based on your guitar).
- Next, note that your strap has two holes. These holes are designed to fit over the strap buttons.
- Now, all you need to do is fit your strap over the strap buttons. Press firmly to ensure a snug fit.
Adjust your strap to taste (based on desired length) and enjoy!
One Strap Button Method
Now, I can’t help you if your acoustic guitar doesn’t have strap buttons (you may want to get some installed), but if it has one, don’t fret. Here’s what to do.
- Identify strap buttons and holes in your strap. This step doesn’t change.
- Now, take a shoestring (buy one if you need it) and feed it through the top hole of your strap.
- Attach the strap as you normally would at the bottom button strap.
- Now, take the end with the string and tie the string around the guitar strings above the nut.
While not an elegant method, you’ll probably find others out there doing the same thing. Note: You can also tie the string around the headstock as opposed to the strings.
Once your strap is on and stable, you can adjust to taste.
How To Put On An Electric Guitar Strap
Electric guitars are relatively easy to work with because they usually have strap buttons in both ends (at the “bottom” of the body and the “top” of the body, where the neck meets the body).
- Each end of your strap should have a hole that accommodates strap buttons. The holes might be a little tight when the strap is new, so it might take extra effort to slip it on.
- So, take each end of your strap and fit the holes around the strap buttons. Press firmly to ensure the strap ends are sitting at the bottom of the strap buttons.
- Finally, adjust your strap to taste and have fun.
How To Put On A Guitar Strap, Final Thoughts
That wasn’t so bad, was it?
Once your strap is set up, you can play standing up and easily carry your guitar around without worrying about dropping it. But for basic everyday practice, I don’t think a strap is necessary.
Either way, For extra security, you may want to put some money towards strap locks.